WSUD Category: Wetland/lake algae management
|Development Type:||Public Open Space|
|Government Area:||City of Canning|
Type of wetland
- Natural & Constructed
- Comments: Mix of both. Existing wetland modified to accept stormwater.
Wetland management issue
- Seasonal wetland /drainage basin with high winter water levels and lower summer water levels;
- High levels of organic matter and detritus present;
- Nutrient inputs from birds and surrounding drainage network;
- Experienced a microcystis algae bloom (blue green algae) in late summer 2019;
- Installed health warning signs advising against direct water contact activities for humans and animals are installed;
- The City experiences periodic algal blooms in a number of stormwater retention lakes as water levels drop and temperatures increase.
- Name of treatment: Aquasphere Pro
- Quantity used: One sphere was placed in a section of the basin, which through low water levels had separated from the remainder of the basin. The product supplier states that one sphere treats 1.8 million litres of water.
- Method of application: Apply sphere into affected area so that it is completely covered with water.
- Is there any known scientific research supporting its effectiveness? ☐ Yes ☒No
Date(s) of treatment
One off trial – March/April 2019
Outcome of treatment
- Visual observations: Rapid algal break down and water clarity improvement within one week of application. Application coincided with a slight drop in the temperature of the waterbody.
- Have water parameters specific to the treatment claims been measured before and after application? ☐ Yes ☒ No
- Comments: Have begun applying to other local lakes.
Contact Officer: David Mort
Email: [email protected]