WSUD Category: Wetland/lake algae management
|Development Type:||Public Open Space|
|Government Area:||City of Rockingham|
Type of wetland
- Has 2 x aerators
Description of the wetland management issue
Water is green all year round, no floating algae.
- Name of treatment: Barley Straw
- Quantity used: 20 bales
- Method of application: Barley straw is placed in a custom made shadecloth bag with a weight at the bottom and float on top, and placed in the lake. They take up to 10 days to sink so that only the float is visible.
- Is there any known scientific research supporting its effectiveness?☐ Yes ☒No
Date(s) of treatment
The treatment commenced in Aug 2019. The barley straw in the bags will be replaced every six months.
Outcome of treatment
- Still early to draw conclusions but initial observations are very promising.
- The lake is not as green and the clarity has improved but ongoing monitoring will be undertaken.
Contact Officer: David Latham, Horticultural Supervisor
Email: [email protected]m.wa.gov.au